Skip to main content

Correction requests

How to make a request for correction of your personal information in a university record

If you believe there is an error or omission in your personal information contained in a University record you may request a correction of the information under section 47(2) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. 

Before submitting a formal request to correct your personal information, you may contact the University department or office that is responsible for the record you would like to correct.   

Discuss your request with a staff member to determine if there is a routine procedure for updating or correcting your information (e.g. an official change of name form).  Many records held by the University can be corrected through an informal process.  

If your information cannot be correct on an informal basis, you will be redirected to submit a formal request for correction of information. 

Formal requests to correct your personal information may be submitted using the Access and Correction Request Form (fillable PDF).  

You may only make requests for correction to factual personal information.

Identify the Information to be corrected

When submitting your request for correction please provide as much detail as possible.  In order to properly identify the information you would like corrected, your request should contain the following:

  • A description of the record and specific information to be corrected;
  • The location of the information;
  • The correction you would like made; and
  • The reason for the correction.

You may wish to consult the university's Records Classification and Retention Schedule or Personal Information Banks for more information regarding university records. 

If you are unsure how to describe the information or record(s) you are looking for, you may contact the Access and Privacy Office at or by calling 905.721.8668, ext. 6705 for assistance to formulate your request.


You may send your completed request form by mail to the following address:  

Access and Privacy Office
University Secretariat
University of Ontario Institute of Technology
2000 Simcoe St. N.
Oshawa, ON
L1H 7K4

You may also submit your application form electronically to   Please note the following if you send your form electronically:

  • If you do not receive an acknowledgement email from within five (5) business days of submitting your form, you should contact the Access and Privacy Office to ensure there were no technical difficulties in the submission of your form.
  • The original form must still be sent by mail and will need to be received by our office within one week of the electronic submission.   
  • Please retain a copy of the form for your own records.


Formal requests to correct personal information may be submitted using the Access and Correction Request Form (fillable PDF).  


You may direct questions regarding completing an access request, or general questions related to access and privacy at the university, to the Access and Privacy Office at or 905.721.8668 ext. 6705.