Skip to main content

Access to Information

How to make a request for access to information

The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) extends a general right of access, with some limitations, to information under the custody and control of the university.   

Members of the university community and the general public have the ability to request personal information about themselves, as well as to make requests for access to the general records of the university.   Depending on the information or record(s) being sought, the information may be available on an informal basis through regular university processes, or through the submission of a formal access request.

Before submitting a formal request in writing for access to information, you may contact the University department or office that has the information that you are looking for.

Contact the Faculty, Department or Office where you believe the records you would like are located.   Discuss your request with a staff member to determine if the record(s) exist and whether or not they can be disclosed to you routinely through regular procedures (e.g. a transcript request form).   Many records held by the University will be available through an informal process, particularly where you are requesting your own personal information.

It may be helpful for you to consult the following university resources to help identify the record(s) you are seeking and where they are located:

Please note that records that contain confidential or third party personal information are subject to exemptions under the Act and are not disclosed routinely.  

If you cannot be given access to the records on an informal basis, you will be redirected to submit a formal access request.

Formal requests for access to information may be submitted using the Access and Correction Request Form (fillable PDF).  

This form may be used to request the following information under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA):

  • Access to general records;
  • Access to your own personal information. 

Identify the records 

When submitting a formal access request, provide as much detail as possible regarding the records being requested and where you would like the university to search.  

Pursuant to section 24(1) of the Act, you must provide sufficient detail in your request to enable an experienced university employee, with a reasonable effort, to identify the personal information and/or record(s) you are seeking.  You may wish to consult the university's Records Classification and Retention Schedule or Personal Information Banks for more information regarding university records. 

If you are unsure how to describe the information or record(s) you are looking for, you may contact the Access and Privacy Office at or by calling 905.721.8668, ext. 6705 for assistance to formulate your request.

Application Fee

Access to Information requests must be accompanied by a $5.00 application fee. 

The application fee may be made by cheque or money order.  Cheques and money orders can be made payable to:  University of Ontario Institute of Technology. 

Submitting your Access Request Form

You may send your completed request form, with application fee, by mail to the following address:  

Access and Privacy Office
University Secretariat
University of Ontario Institute of Technology
2000 Simcoe St. N.
Oshawa, ON
L1H 7K4

You may also submit your application form electronically to   Please note the following if you send your form electronically:

  • If you do not receive an acknowledgement email from within five (5) business days of submitting your form, you should contact the Access and Privacy Office to ensure there were no technical difficulties in the submission of your form.
  • The original form and application fee must still be sent by mail and will need to be received by our office within one week of the electronic submission.   
  • Please retain a copy of the form and your cheque or money order for your own records.

Access and Correction Request Form

Formal requests for access to information may be submitted using the Access and Correction Request Form (fillable PDF).  



You may direct questions regarding completing an access request, or general questions related to access and privacy at the university, to the Access and Privacy Office at or 905.721.8668 ext. 6705.